Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Teej - The Festival of Women!

Many Nepalese (and Indian) women are currently celebrating Teej. During this celebration, Hindi women feast and fast, pray for marital bliss, pray for the well-being of their husbands and children, and for the purification of their own body and soul.

I think this sounds like a beautiful and fantastic ritual! And, next year, our daughter and I (assuming we get a girl...) will celebrate this festival. For this year, I'll feast, pray for my hubby, baby and self - and wear red. (No need to go all out and fast.)

I can't think of any rituals in this country that celebrate being a women/wife/mother quite as beautifully - can you?

Namaste.

1 comment:

S & J said...

What an amazing celebration.. My husband and I too are hoping to adopt from Nepal. We are only in the beginning stages, we have a long way to go... My prayers are with you and your family that a minister will be appointed soon. I very much have enjoyed your blog thank you for posting.. Sandra