Saturday, January 2, 2010

A Whole Year. And Thicker Skin.

Well, we've been at this for a year now. The adoption process, that is. We both thought we'd be traveling to Nepal over the holidays in 2009, and be home in early 2010 with our baby. That was based on not only our gut feelings, but on expectations that were set for us.

Although we were prepared for a wait, and had been advised of the risks involved with international adoption, I don't think either of us would have expected this last year to be what it has been. The news and movement has been so little - that we can't help but be a bit down and saddened. While we've put the day when we'll meet our baby out of our immediate minds (not buying baby things, preparing the room, nor talking much about it), I don't think an hour goes by when I don't think of it.

But, in my life I've seen things happen that I never would have expected, nor did I see coming. We are where we are - and that is in complete and total unknowing. And I can't help but wonder what's in store for us. I sure hope it's a family... but that seems so incredibly far away right now.

Namaste.

3 comments:

Heather said...

just a note to let you know i've been following your blog for a few months now as my husband and I consider international adoption (we have no children) ourselves.

i admire your patience and enjoy your updates - even when it's just to say there's not much to say. look forward to what 2010 brings you - may it be your child!

OzCan Adventures said...

Hi. My name is Stacey and my family and I are just embarking on our Nepal adoption journey. I was so happy to find your blog. (My husband is a very private soul and does not like to share our process, So it helps me to read about yours). It saddens me to see your pain though. The waiting and not knowing is such a challenge, one I am not sure how we are going to handle ourselves. We have two biological boys who are very excited at the prospect of a little sister. They want to know why we can't go and get her right now. It is difficult to explain, even to myself. I wish you all the best for this coming year and hope to hear that you have your beautiful baby in your loving arms soon. Namaste.

Demori Kennedy said...

We've decided to end the Nepal adoption journey. I just don't think that I can go through it, honestly. We've rescheduled our fingerprinting appointment with USCIS three times in the hope that better news would break, but it has not. One thing I'd like to say to those who already have children. Please consider that Nepal only takes 10 applications per year from each agency. There are those who have no children and they have chosen international adoption from Nepal as their means to a family. Can you just consider that you've already been blessed and let the people without children get in line ahead of you, please?