Wednesday, November 27, 2013

This is big stuff.


Two years ago Thanksgiving day, we welcomed Samuel into our home. It was one of the most amazing days of my life. I don't think anything could have prepared us for the job of parenting, or for this amazing child. It has been the hardest and happiest 2 years of my life.

Sam - I still call you bright eyes - as there's so much life in your eyes, and in you. And I still call you pork chop, or chop, or choppy, even though you're longer and leaner now, not shaped like a pork chop. You are funny, silly, scary-smart, quick-tempered, sweet, curious, a bit defiant, easily scared, talkative (non-stop), creative and loving. You are just the person I saw in your eyes in the first pictures of you. I believe the universe sent you to me to make me a better person.

In the past two years, you have not only learned to walk and talk, but you've learned to love and trust. While it's miraculous by most standards that at 37 months you know all of your letters and are starting to spell, it's more miraculous that you are so happy. And while it's amazing that you can recite more than 30 of your books as we read them, it's more amazing that you're letting our love in, and loving back.

You and I are a lot alike, baby. We have our control battles, big time. Learning to parent you with acceptance and compassion, rather than control and anger is changing me as a person. I have lots of work to do, and lots of room to improve. I'm taking piano lessons so you grow up around music. I'm doing volunteer work for Ethiopia so you learn to know the importance of giving, and your birth country.

My hope for you, baby boy, is that you continue to grow into a happy and kind young man. I'll help as much as I can.

Happy 2 years as a family!





















1 comment:

caroline said...

I just spent all morning reading your whole blog from front to end. Thank you so much for being frank about your adoption process and the ups and downs that come with it. Myself, also a CO resident just submitted my application for Ethiopian adoption last month and hopefully starting my home study soon too. I look forward to keeping up with the Stone family!