Saturday, April 4, 2009

Tummy Rub

I have a few girlfriends and co-workers who are in various stages of pregnancy. When I'm with them, I notice that often they reach down and touch or rub their tummies. I'm sure sometimes it's due to a physical sensation. But I also think sometimes it's to connect with their baby - to reassure the baby, or even themselves, that's all is OK. I suspect most of the time they're doing this tummy rub they don't even realize it. Sometimes when I see this mini ritual of connecting, it's so maternal and beautiful that I have to turn away.

It is leaving me wondering how I can reassure my baby who's not in my tummy - and myself, that everything's OK? What connecting can I be practicing long-distance? I don't know. Namaste for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My youngest (barely three)just asked me this a.m. if I have a baby growing in my tummy and triggered similar feelings to your own. Without I knowing you, if you practice a faith, pray or value The Bible, I will offer the only scripture that has helped me with these feelings. Psalm 139. It's too long to post here, but I will email it to you if you would like me to. Praying for peace for the journey.

Tracie said...

An idea struck me this morning: a locket. One side saying "reserved" and one side saying "namaste". And every time you touch the locket, or every time someone comments on it, you are reminded of all the prayers, and good thoughts, and positive energy being directed at your growing baby.