Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Making an ass out of u and me

When we tell people we're adopting, 95% of the time we are met with genuine excitement. But there are other reactions, as well. So, to clear things up for the record:

1.) I'm/we're not infertile.
Most of the time, people automatically assume I'm infertile. There's a "you poor thing" look in their eyes for a fraction of a second. (They recover quickly, but I always catch it.) We're not adopting because either of us has any fertility challenges. Adoption is our choice. This is how Terry and I have chosen to start our family.

2.) We're the lucky ones.
People often say: "that is a lucky child". And early on, I probably agreed with that. In actuality though, it is Terry and me who are "lucky". To adopt a child from a different culture half-way around the world is an absolute privilege. And that's not lip service. We just hope we're worthy.

3.) International Adoption was not a runner-up.
We wanted to adopt internationally, it's not a second choice. Our reasons for adopting child who will be a different color, from a different culture, and with a different religious background are very personal, but I can say with absolute conviction, this is our path.

Namaste.

1 comment:

yolo said...

Anne, I love your latest post. I couldn't have stated these truths any better. In fact, I may have to "borrow" parts of this for my blog...