Saturday, March 24, 2012

This pup.


Many times in the last year or two I've sat down to write about my love affair with this pup. But each time, before I get very far, tears blur my eyes so I can't see the screen. He is simply the most unconditionally loving and gentle soul I've ever experienced.

Jackson has been my best friend for almost 10 years. I inherited him when I met Terry. At first - we didn't click. But over the years he's become my hiking buddy, my couch buddy, my confidant and my love.

It's hard to see your pup age. He has trouble getting up. His muzzle is more and more white. I know that the addition of Sam has been hard on him most of all, and it breaks my heart to have made such a profoundly hard change to his life in his late years. He wags less, he goes away to find a quiet place more. I'm sorry, fluffernutter.

So: to my pup for the time we have left: I promise to love on you every day, punkin pie. I promise to take you swimming when it's too hot to hike, and take you hiking when it's not, puppernuter squash. I promise to scratch your chin they way I know you love it, furry. I promise to pay attention to all that you've tried to teach me (and I've mostly avoided), Flurry McFluffersston. I love you, pup. Thank you for everything you bring to our lives.

I will close this post with a note from a fellow dog lover, my good friend Ross, who recently wrote me a note when I was feeling sad about Jackson aging. (Please read with a British accent):
He's a grand old man, and getting grey around the muzzle as he helps the next generation grow up grounded and balanced. That's the badge of honour for a dog, and he wears it well. It's natural, it's doesn't feel good, but it's how life is. His life has built up to helping Sam come through. Don't believe in heaven or hell, but I do believe in a big dog park in the sky. If it ain't there, I don't want to go.

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Found your blog tonight and have been reading it. Wow! What a journey you have had. Your writing about your pup brings tears to my eyes. He is adorable as is BBS of course!

Anonymous said...

He is a great dog and he still knows you love him. and he did a great job getting you through the long painful wait.
I know it is hard. Lucky died about 6 months after Cass got home, it was awful.
xxoo

Kirsten said...

What a nice post about your first kid! We are contemplating getting our first dog and it's so hard to imagine that he or she will be with us when our first grader graduates high school!

I've so enjoyed reading your blog. I get a little traffic from your site each month--thank you! I recently made my blog private for a few reasons but want to extend you and whichever of your readers clicks over to me an invite.

If interested, I'll post my email in a follow-up comment.

Pebble to Stone said...

Yes, Kirsten, please.

Pebble to Stone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kirsten said...

Ok, my email is kianmoda@gmail.com.
If you send me an email using your preferred address, I can shoot you an invite to my blog!