Wednesday, July 13, 2011

a ma se ge na le hu

After what was probably the most delightful non-business class overseas flight I’ve ever taken, Terry and I find ourselves amazed and confused in Addis Ababa, the capitol of Ethiopia. As hard as it is to believe, 12.5 hours actually seemed to go by fairly quickly. Ethiopian Air has a new fleet of 777’s all with personal entertainment screens and what seems like a bit more space (a few inches) than coach on most airlines. Terry was able to get some ambien-induced sleep, I was able to get some ambien-induced bad movie-watching in.

We landed at 8am, zipped through getting our Visas and Customs, picked up all 3 bags (yay!) and came to the hotel we’re staying at tonight – before proceeding to the guest house where we’ll be staying for the next 4 nights, tomorrow.

In what was somewhat of a surprise - we talked to our agency’s legal council and learned we’d be able to see BBS today!! So after a good nap, we headed to the care center (formerly known as the orphanage) with our driver. Well… then a kink in the plan. Turns out, BBS is actually at a different care center – although in the same system – about an hour away. So we couldn’t see him today, it was too late.

I'm not sure if it was the 12.5 hour flight with no sleep, the culture shock, or the thought of meeting our son within moments, only to have it not happen – but I got a little upset. I managed to keep myself somewhat composed, as the full-on tantrum I wanted to have would have neither been culturally acceptable, nor appropriate for a glowing new mother. (Terry was of course his patient and courteous self, thankfully.) Long story shorter, we’ll meet BBS tomorrow morning. Maybe best for all of to do so when well-rested.

Addis is amazing – more on that when we’re able to post pics, or see through the smog – whichever happens first.

And the reason I wrote “ we find ourselves amazed and confused” is because that’s exactly what we’re feeling. It’s one thing to jump on a plane and fly to what has been described as “not a third-world, but a fifth-world country” in 24 hours. It’s another thing entirely to add to that meeting your son for the first time. So yes, we’re excited, yes, we’re nervous and yes – we’re not quite sure what we are right now. What could be more amazing than THIS experience? And we’re happy to be here. And I'm especially happy to be here with Terry - of all people, who is my much better half. 


So - we just look at each other and laugh, thinking: O M G ! Seriously? Really? O M G! Wow. I really can't put it into words right now - I wish I could, more eloquently. It’s the most life-changing thing we’ve ever experienced. And it's only just begun.

The only other thing to say here is that we have spent all day trying to say “thank you” in Amharic.  (a ma se ge na le hu). I did say thank you in German, though, so at least I'm trying. 

Stay tuned. And thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers - 'cause we really can feel them.

11 comments:

Lynn K said...

OMG! I'm so excited for you and so happy you are able to post. Can't wait until tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!

elliemac said...

Get some rest, both of you, because tomorrow will be a day you'll remember forever. Give BBS a special hug from Nona and Papa.

Anonymous said...

OMG is RIGHT!! I am crying, I am so happy for you. Take 2 ambien and try to sleep. I cannot wait to hear about the meeting, enjoy it and remember each sound, smell and feeling. Little man is waiting for his mama and daddy. AHHHHHH!!! sobbing....
xoxo

Straus^3 said...

Enjoy the moment and take a lot of pictures and write everything down. You would think this would be a moment you could never forget but it is much like a wedding where you only remember bits and pieces. We read Asella's blog recently and were surprised at how much we forgot. Of course the moment you meet him will be in your hearts and minds forever but the rest of the journey starts to become a blur. Can't wait to read about one of the greatest moments in your life. Have fun!!

thindman said...

I just can't imagine what an amazing experience you're having right now. Waiting on pins and needles to see Anne and T with there BBS! I'm tearing up.

thindman said...

Sorry, my strong emotions clouded my grammatical accuracy. I meant to type "Anne and T with their BBS!" The English instructor in me just couldn't let go.

Clair said...

wonderful reading this! I am so glad to see you at this point in your journey. That little pebble will be really real so soon!

Becca said...

goosebumps Anne GOOSEBUMPS! so exciting!!!

Theresa said...

How awesome to be that close and know that in just a few hours you will meet your son. I am so happy and excited for you. I can't wait until the next post!

Carmen said...

once i could finally pronounce it, i had to repeat that word to myself every 20 min. or so to make sure i wouldn't forget...i still find myself practicing :) CONGRATS Mama Anne!

Anonymous said...

Interest to read. Thanks For Update. Pls Update More news Variable Data Printing with Printing