Sunday, February 1, 2009

Namasté नमस्ते

I bought a Nepali phrase book last week, interested in the culture, words, pronunciations. The very first word listed is “namasté”, which is commonly used in saying both “hello” and “goodbye”. In Nepal (and India and elsewhere in South Asia too) this expression can be used any time of the day and, though slightly informal, is considered appropriate between all people. When used, it should be accompanied by holding your palms together in front of your face or chest, as if in prayer. I am immediately fascinated.

Having tried a stint with yoga a few years ago, “namasté” was used between the instructor and class as the session began and ended. There I learned it had a deeper, spiritual meaning, so it never occurred to me that it could also be a simple greeting. The Wikipedia definition (which must be true) reminded me that what I learned conveyed deep respect: “The light in me honors the light in you” and also “ I bow to that (divinity) inherent in you.” Wow. That’s a little different than “hello” or “hey, how’s it goin’?”

It seems to me that is incredibly powerful. So whenever you greet a person in Nepal – even a stranger on the street – you’re not just saying “hi” but “I respect the Divine within you.” When was the last time you greeted somebody with such profound reverence? I know I haven’t, even to those I love dearly. It makes me think though that the Nepalese are a beautiful and wise people... that deep respect and acceptance, no matter what religion or beliefs, help bind their people together.

So I’m thankful I’ve already learned something from our unknown child. I look forward to the day when we first meet…

Namasté.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It was great to see someone try to get the name of Mt Everest more nearly correct.

Sagarmatha (as Mt Everest is known in the Nepali language) is 'Forehead of the Earth': referring to ideas that your future/fortune/fate is written on/in your forehead, this phrase suggests that the fate of the earth is written on the 'forehead' of this great mountain.

This same mountain is known in Sherpa and other Tibetan-related languages as Chomolungma (or Jyomolungmo) which translates as 'female divinity (or 'goddess') of winds' referring both to the divine presence that is embodied in the mountain and the winds that blow from it constantly.

As you can see, the usual translation of either/both of these names as 'Mother Goddess of the Earth' is half wrong on all counts.