Saturday, May 28, 2011

This old pup.

Our sweet pup is getting old. He's not able to hike as long as he was even last summer, and he's very sore after walks of more than 30 minutes or so. Sometimes, when he tries to stand after a longer walk, his back legs just won't cooperate. Poor sweet Jackson. How I love this dog.

Last night as we were getting ready to go to bed, he got sprayed by a skunk. Fortunately the anti-skunk remedy we found online and also were told by the emergency vet worked VERY well! Not sure who was more unhappy - him, for having to have 3 baths in a row with different concoctions at midnight, or us, for having to give him 3 baths in a row with different concoctions at midnight!

This sweet pup:
  • Carries around a stuffed animal so he always has a pillow
  • Helps carry in groceries, and is offended when you don't offer him something to carry
  • Loves to roll in poop or dead animals
  • Is very upset when I'm upset
  • Loves water in any form (lake, snow, stream, etc.) except bath water
  • Howls with us, just for fun
  • Brings in the mail from the corner
  • Is sometimes the dirtiest dog I know, which makes me crazy
  • Loves to cuddle
  • Always greets us at the door with a toy (or 3) in his mouth
  • Is the biggest golden I've ever seen, with paws almost as big as my hands
  • Is a little bit, ok, a LOT scaredy cat
  • Has been my steadfast cohort on hikes for 8 years now, since I met Terry
  • Poops and pees on command
  • Knows how to get his collar, and his leash, and take them to the front door, and does so when it's time for a walk, and sometime when it's not
  • Squeeks a toy when it's dinner time... lest we forget - he'll tell us
  • Is my best friend, hiking buddy and confidante
Love you my fluffer-nutter, punkin pie. How can you be this old when to me, you're still just a pup? I wish getting old weren't so soon for you, buddy.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

How sweet. Wilson, my chocolate lab, is 10 years old and lately he too has shown the effects of time - the walks are shorter, he doesn't jump, he sleeps more often. All we can do is just love them for the short amount of time they are with us. I am so grateful for my "kids"