Thursday, October 20, 2011

Snake Attack! And a whole lotta BS.

OK. I'll save the snake attack bit for last.

In terms of Samuel - no news, things continue to get more convoluted. The biggest problem we have right now is that our agency won't or "can't" update us on Samuel's file. It is infuriating and I have given them a pretty big kick in the rear asking / demanding we get an update. OK - in truth I've done this multiple times now. But this time I am losing patience. I am pissed. We're to talk with them Monday. We continue to work with government officials, make requests/demands, etc. But until we know what is in Samuel's files we're basically stuck. Yes, so our agency/orphanage now are the ones screwing us in addition to the government. Nice. (I realize that's strong language, not as descriptive as what I wanted to write...) We do need to keep a good relationship with them, so I am trying to control myself, but getting strong in my requests for information. 

I actually have to force myself (with the help of my hubby/dog) to let go of all of the blogs / Facebook information being posted / phone calls to be made / letters and emails to be written, etc, as it can be overwhelming and could easily kill or at least seriously maim a person. I did start a private blog where we're discussing who's doing what, who's talking to whom, what can we do as a group, and all things Ethiopia adoption related for those of us "stuck". I am trying to check it once a day versus every 5 minutes. It's seriously easily a full time job. Thanks, US government. Thanks, agency.

The good news is the giardia I obtained while in Africa is almost gone, and I'm feeling good enough to hike again. Thank god, as it is my most favorite past-time, and it helps with the stress (see paragraph above about getting totally consumed by the adoption problems.) 

Anyway, on a hike today,  Jackson and I were struck at today by a small rattlesnake!!! He was probably 18 inches or so. He missed us and took off like a shot (the snake). I jumped 2 feet in the air, as did Jackson. I (loudly) screamed "HOLY SH!T". When I pulled myself together, I apologized for my language to the Mennonite family with small children a few feet behind me on the trail. The mother, complete in her bonnet and modest dress, insisted we go back to see the snake - leaving the men and dog behind (I was like, right on, sister!). So we did, but that rattler was long gone. Then I took a few family pics for them, they were from Ohio, and Jackson and I were on our way.

I have come across more snakes than usual in the past month or two, and also have had some in dreams. This, of course, this led me to be interested in what the snake animal totem is about. I learned:

This a powerful totem -- it is the symbol of transformation and healing.
The Snake is wisdom expressed through healing.
It also signals a transition in your life - new opportunities and/or changes. 

Hmm. Hmmm. Hmmmmmmm.... 

A few pictures below for your viewing pleasure - although none of the snake, unfortunately!

In all fairness, I was kinda warned?


  But it's our favorite hiking spot - we're here weekly.


After a hike, old dogs sometimes need a little ice on their sore wrists :(


And, while I was in Orem, Utah for work this week, I got a hike in there, as well, at Dry Creek Canyon - 2 miles from my office. It was absolutely spectacular!


Now, in closing, before you question my work ethic...let me assure you that my between my early morning calls with Europe, my late night calls with Japan due to a big product launch and doubling my responsibility since my boss left last month  - I feel quite fine about taking a hike over lunch or after work (before my Asia shift starts).

3 comments:

elliemac said...

You forgot to mention the flight down the stairs while in Utah!

Two Little Birds said...

I don't know whether to be sad, scared, happy, or mad from this post! Needless to say, glad you are getting out and enjoying the fall beauty. Make sure to give a call next time you are in Utah. I live between he mouths of big/little cottonwood and would love a hike! I am still keeping my fingers crossed for you a good news this week. All but given up hope for us. :(

Two Little Birds said...

Oh, and glad you got away from that snake. Oh my, a bite is all you would need now ... but sure makes for a great story!