Monday, October 10, 2011

The girl with the flower.


I just want to offer gratitude for your thoughts, prayers and simple kindnesses. It's what's getting me through most days. The love & prayers, notes & phone calls we have coming our way are the most beautiful gifts. And we're very grateful.

While we were in Ethiopia, Terry traveled North - to the town Samuel is from. I stayed and got an extra visit with Samuel. We sat outside at the orphanage in the sun, surrounded by many older kids who were playing tag. Once the kids saw Samuel and me - they were fascinated with both of us. They don't see white people super often, and they don't often see the babies - who live in a different part of the orphanage. The surrounded us, and we played pattycakes and they touched my hair and Samuel's cheeks.

Anyway, there was a little girl who was carrying a flower just like the one in this picture above. She was so sweet - and shyly approached me to touch my strange white skin, and to see Samuel. She wasn't the youngest, or the cutest little girl. But something in her touched me. I tried to find her the next day, our final visit with Samuel, as the orphanage was going to see if she had been matched with a family. But Terry got violently ill - and I had to tend to him and get him to the clinic as soon as possible. I had to very quickly say goodbye to my son. I had to take care of my husband. I couldn't find the little girl with the flower. I hope she's ok.

I will never forget that day. All those kids. All those beautiful children. And Samuel, most of all. So far away. So very far away now.

No news. Nothing to report. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can do this. We are all here for you guys. xoxo

Wes, Dawn and Luke said...

I have a little one over there in my heart too, I think of the ones left behind everyday. I pray one day we will all be together in a very, very wonderful place.

elliemac said...

Maybe the little girl with the flower is calling you and needs you. We WILL get Samuel home. Remember what his name means and have faith in that. I know it's difficult. Sometimes you just have to trust and believe.

Two Little Birds said...

So... the cheerleader in me says you CAN do this, you WILL do this, you HAVE to do this. But at the same time, it just sucks. I am so sorry. I can't blame you for heading over. I would need to do the same thing, too. :(