Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Despair. Hope. Despair. Hope. Despair. Hope...

Terry is in Ethiopia for 2 weeks trying to work out this whole nightmare. Things have spiraled downhill with regards to ours and many Ethiopian adoptions in the last 2 months. But stay tuned - there is now hope where there wasn't yesterday.

After hearing very disturbing news about our particular case on Friday, we got Terry there as quickly as possible to see what, exactly, is going on. He got in country on Monday night. He met with our agency's attorney first thing on Tuesday, and found out NOTHING has been done on our case in the 8 weeks since the embassy sent our case back for more information. Can you imagine how bat-shit crazy this makes me?!

The good news is that  now we are working with an attorney in the US with whom I am thrilled - and we actually have hope after going through a weekend thinking we had lost our son. She personally has an adopted child from Vietnam and got stuck in the process with the US Government there – so this is her life’s work. She has gotten many, many families home from Nepal, Vietnam and now is starting with Ethiopia. She assures us she can help us – the only caveat being that Terry may have to spend some extra time in Ethiopia being a “private investigator” to fight this fight. It depends on if he can light any fires at all under our agency's butts, which I have absolutely no faith in, whatsoever. So, now Terry and I are officially Private Investigators, Attorneys and Adoption Agency workers - you name it, it's all on us. 

I am dying to get over there and hold my baby, but someone has to be on this end to work things, too. And oh, there's that little problem of one failed adoption and now this - which leaves us just a TEENY bit, um, stretched. So my trip is on hold.

Terry has seen Samuel twice in the two days he has been there. Yes, he’s bald!! (Samuel, not Terry.) I miss his little Fro-hawk! (Samuel, not Terry.) They had to shave his head for a hospital visit (Samuel, not Terry.)  I guess in Ethiopia they put IV’s in babies’ heads when they’re dehydrated. Poor baby – he had "violent vomiting and dehydration". We’re still not sure what exactly is going on with that, and of course that make me a bit nuts. But Terry said he seems OK. I, however, am NOT OK WITH THIS AT ALL!! Nor the fact no one let us know he was sick. I need him home where I can take care of him. (Samuel and Terry.)

Thanks for everyone’s support, it is much appreciated.

8 comments:

Two Little Birds said...

Thank you so much for keeping this update. I look every day. I am so glad Terry is there and you both are doing everything in your power (and beyond) to get your son home. As always, positive thoughts and prayers yours way.

Two Little Birds said...

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I love how your header ended with "hope....." Everything I have is coming your way to keep that word there!

Theresa said...

I am so angry at your agency. How could they DO NOTHING for 8 weeks?? That is outrageous. Good for you hiring an attorney and taking this on yourselves to resolve and bring your son home.

He is a darling boy. And the picture of him in his daddy's arms is priceless.

Praying for you. This situation is not right. Sam needs to come home. Soon.

Straus^3 said...

Don't know what to say or do but just know we are thinking of you.
xoxox

Anonymous said...

This photo makes me cry. He is so cute (both boys). I am glad you have her on board. He will be home, she is a miracle worker.
xoxo

Erin Carson said...

thinking of you... hope they are both home soon...

teryl said...

I am so hoping you hear good news sometime soon. I can only imagine how consuming and aggravating this ordeal is for you. My thoughts are with you and Terry.

Reg said...

my thinkings are for you. I hope Samuel can come home soon. Keep hope.
I pray for your family